Jun

Building an MG-TC pedal car: Update – videos!

Posted by: Mark   in Pedal car

Refer to the Introduction for links to all of the posts in this project.

The past two days have been VERY productive days with the pedal car! Not since the body went together have I accomplished this much in such a short amount of time. I finally worked a very usable solution for the steering (at BOTH ends of the steering rod!), and finished that last night. Then today I was able to devote about four hours of uninterrupted time to redoing the drive mechanism, and that’s working better than I could have imagined (thank you, Dad, for your ideas and help, and Tami for letting me do it!). Once the kids drove that around for a little while, I realized I just had to get the fenders mounted. And man, what a difference it’s made having those things on the car!

P1020617

I’ll update Part 4 with details and pictures as soon as a I have a chance to get some decent shots of what I’ve done. Until then, perhaps these videos will hold you over! The kids ran it for about three hours today, and the worst I had to do was add a seat support (for those with longer legs) and tighten a few nuts that worked loose.

One of the huge helps in all of this has been the comments and emails I’ve received on some of the other posts in this series. Seeing interest in this project is really pushing me to get it done, so thanks to all of you who have stopped by!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 at 8:47 pm and is filed under Pedal car. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 comments so far

Kevin James

Wow! That car is awesome!! You can tell you’ve put some serious time into that car. Nice!

June 10th, 2009 at 10:05 pm
Grampie

What a terrific job. You’re right, the fenders just finish it off great. I’m impressed with how easy it seems to peddle too. I am a bit surprised though – great videos with sound and I didn’t hear that horn even once.

June 11th, 2009 at 9:55 am

Thanks, Kevin! I can assure you that although there has been a bit of time put into it, there has been far more “wait” put into it!!

Oh no – you’re right, Dad! No horn! I have some more footage I’ll put together in the next few days with that horn squawking away.

June 11th, 2009 at 10:05 am
Jason Fabbri

Fantastic! I’m going to order the plans today, I’d love to get your details on the conversion to bike wheels. I know we had exchanged email a bit before you made this much progress.

June 15th, 2009 at 12:25 pm
Alan

The finished car looks great. Seeing it in motion keeps me going om our project. I can’t wait to see the final painted master piece! Great Job.

June 21st, 2009 at 12:47 am

love your Mg….have a look on my website . Regards

June 30th, 2009 at 9:56 am
Larry Smith

Where did you find the bicycle wheels and what size are they? how are the 3 that have bearings fitted to the axles? Did you remove the bearings and let the hub become the bearing? This project fascinates me and you did an outstanding job on yours. I hope to do partially as good. Larry

July 8th, 2009 at 1:20 pm
Gale Morrison

I just finished making stevensoss Bugatti yesterday I found this sight tonight looking for next project. Did you ever finish this? My computer is old and I cant get the vidios. You said you would change somethings but what? I know I changed things on the bugatti too. thanks for your time.

August 20th, 2009 at 5:53 pm
Richard HArris

A year has gone by now – Is there any paint on the Mg yet :-) Nice build

August 18th, 2010 at 8:26 am
Ron Little

Did you get it finished? Would like to see finished kart.

January 22nd, 2013 at 5:50 pm